Posted by: Tricia | April 3, 2008

Paris sans moi

That’s right folks, David went to Paris last week without me! He spent an entire week in the city of love with his coworkers, but without moi, his true love. Each year his bosses, who happen to be husband and wife, treat the management team of to a business retreat. Last year they were in San Francisco and this year, Paris. When I heard where they were going this year, my first response was “I’m going…and Elliott is going, too!”. But, after contemplating the logistics of taking an 8 month old across the world to a country where I don’t speak the language, fending for myself while David worked most of the day, and then figuring out what to do with a sleepy baby once we were together for the evening, we both decided that it was probably not realistic for me to go. Rats! I imagined taking Elliott for a stroll on the Champs Elysees and going inside the Louvre for the first time, but the truth is, having a baby would have slowed the whole group down and we wouldn’t have had the freedom to do all that we wanted to.

David and I had the opportunity to go to France in 2003 when his brother was still living there. It was absolutely beautiful, I loved everything about it, and I have wanted to go back ever since. I didn’t particularly desire to go to Paris, so my love for the city was somewhat unexpected. We only spent 2 days in Paris when we were there in 2003, but David and I are determined to go back one day and spend some more time there together. Here we are in France as newlyweds!

Back in the U.S.A. Elliott and I survived a week without David, but boy was I glad to have an extra pair of hands around again! I must say that I did enjoy having some time to myself, but I was definitely ready to have my husband back!


My boys relaxing on the porch swing a few days before David left.


Elliott helping his Daddy pack…or maybe he was trying to sneak away with him.

Before David left I made plans for each day of the week so that I wouldn’t get too lonely. The first night I worked and my mom took care of Elliott. Because I had to go into work early that night I was away from Elliott for 24 hours…it made me very sad. But, we survived. Here he is acting goofy with my mom. Silly boy!


The next day we took it easy around the house. On Wednesday night we had dinner with Shelley, Clarity, and Shelley’s parents. Mmm mmm those chicken & dumplings were delicious and the babies had fun playing together as always.



Thursday Stacey and I took the boys to the Dallas Arboretum and had dinner afterwards. They were a bit cranky, but we had fun strolling and catching up. I wish we could hang out more often!


Friday night we stayed at my mom’s house. She and I stayed up and watched a movie after Elliott went to bed…it was just like old times! Then, on Saturday morning she kept Elliott while I did some shopping for myself. That was an extra special treat! We got Elliott some toys at a kids’ resale shop and had lunch together, too. In the afternoon we took my Grandmother out to buy some flowers for her flower pots.


Elliott had so much fun riding in the cart at the plant nursery. Have I mentioned that he loves being outside? That evening we celebrated my Grandmother’s 82nd birthday at a Japanese Hibachi restaurant. Yum! It was Elliott’s first time to see the show…he wasn’t too impressed. In fact, the fire scared him to tears!


Fire = Scary

Each day David would call and I would hand the phone to Elliott so that they could talk. He would get the sweetest grin on his face and laugh when he heard his Daddy’s voice.


Saturday night Elliott surprised me with his worst blow-out ever…that’s all I’ll say about that. Needless to say, I had no other choice but to get in the bathtub with him. Here’s a picture of my squeaky clean boy afterwards. There are few things I enjoy more than the smell of a clean baby!


On Sunday the two of us went to church and Elliott visited with his friends in the nursery. We had lunch with Nonnie and her friend, Chris. He was pooped after that! I was actually able to get him out of his carseat, carry him inside, and put him in his crib…all without him waking up! That was a first, and might I add, a very sweet moment for me.

Monday we ran a few errands, I finished the roman shades for Elliott’s nursery, cleaned house, did laundry, bathed the dog, bathed the baby, and crashed before welcoming David home! What a day! David spent about 24 hours of traveling, but was in good spirits when he got home. We both peeked in on our sleeping Elliott and went to bed. It was a happy reunion for the two of them the next morning. My sweet husband jumped right in and began helping me out with Elliott. Did I mention that it sure is nice to have an extra pair of hands around?


Daddy feeding Elliott his breakfast.


A souvenir from France.


“Robots in my book and robots on my shirt!”



  1. Wow, what a great week! I love your pictures…you are so good. I have to say I burst out laughing at that picture of Elliott in the restaurant. Too cute!!

    Tell David “welcome home” from us. We love you guys!

  2. I love the photos from your honeymoon and the week in re-cap! Glad that you had plans for every day to make it go faster.

  3. What a great update. Impressive girl! You are truley a sassy, got-it-together Mommy!
    Miss you

  4. Fire= Scary…I love it! You are too funny, what a great blog. I dream of taking my youngins to Paris too…I loved Paris, it was such a great place…well except for all the creepy guys that hit on me and said “you are American, you have sex for me.” my response…”No! And you conjugated that sentence wrong!”
    Anywho, see you tomorrow!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: